Solved problems updating perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch on CentOS 6

Today yum chase its own tail during the package update of one of our servers.

Updating the packages needed the installation of any new packages because of dependencies. The transaction check breaks with:

Transaction Check Error:
  file /usr/share/man/man3/XML::SAX::Base.3pm.gz conflicts between attempted installs of perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch and perl-XML-SAX-Base-1.04-1.el6.rf.noarch
  file /usr/share/man/man3/XML::SAX::Exception.3pm.gz conflicts between attempted installs of perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch and perl-XML-SAX-Base-1.04-1.el6.rf.noarch

No way out. Google didn’t know anything about.

The solution of this problem is removing any packages and reinstall them manually. In my situation I removed both packages which made trouble: perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch and perl-XML-SAX-Base-1.04-1.el6.rf.noarch. I reinstalled perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch again and any transaction check works and yum installed the updates. I didn’t reinstalled the package perl-XML-SAX-Base-1.04.1.el6.rf.noarch because it seems to be no longer a dependency of any perl-SAX package.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Solved problems updating perl-XML-SAX-0.96-7.el6.noarch on CentOS 6

  1. Nice post.

    Got into a similar situation today, with CentOS 6.3. Was trying to install Spacewalk and got a problem where yum tryed to install the package from 2 repoes at the same time.

    Your solution seamed to help though, just made sure to install it from one of the repos manualy, and then do the yum install spacewalk-postgresql over again and it all worked like a charm.

    Kind regards,
    Jørgen

  2. Hi, Thanks for this post.
    Could you also describe the process used to remove the packages?
    Tried searching but didnt find a reliable way of doing it…

    thanks!

    • This should work if the cause of the problem is located in this repo.
      But disabling a repo will open a new problem: You will never get updates for packages installed from this repo – until you reenable it.
      If you reenable the repo – somewhere in the future – you possibly will run into the same problem you had before you disabled the repo.
      In short: disabling a repo will not solve the problem. It only hides the problem.

  3. I believe that it is repo-specific and for me it seems to have actually fixed it (for this particular package, and at least for now).

    There’s a bug report at github: https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/issues/211

    Yum was pulling all the perl-XML-* packages from the base repo apart from perl-XML-SAX-Base and running yum update now doesn’t throw any errors (presumably because the base and RPM Forge packages have the same version number).

    Hopefully RPM Forge will fix their package to bring it into line with the other repos.

    • To add to my previous comment, you can make a more permanent fix by editing the file /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo and adding (or editing) the line:

      ‘exclude=perl-XML-SAX-Base’

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s